60th Trip Around the Sun
Most people get at most 80 or 90 trips around the Sun in their lifetimes. I start my 60th journey on January 31st of this year. There are a few things I’d like to do before using up all my orbits. Many things like skiing, climbing, running, and cycling get harder as one gets older. So, I plan to try to accomplish some goals during my 60th year and I’d like you to join me. As a reward, on my 61st birthday we will have a party for all of those that helped me accomplish my goals. Here’s what I’d like to do:
I plan to ski 100,000 meters (328,000 ft) this year—at least 10,000 meters in the backcountry. Here are some other goals:
- Hut trip to Carl’s Cabin at the Polar Star Inn. This trip is already planned. We will be skiing in on February 4th and skiing out on the 7th. There are still three spots available. Let my know if you are interested in joining us.
- Skiing at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. I’ll be at the Afton house from about February 15 till the end of March. Afton is about 70 miles south of Jackson. Come stay with me in Afton for a while and go skiing.
- Backcountry skiing in the Tetons. While in Afton I hope to do some backcountry skiing in the Tetons, but I need a partner. Come and join me. There are plenty of great places to ski: Teton Pass, 25-Short…
- Backcountry skiing at Cameron Pass. My sister Tana lives in Fort Collins so I can’t pass up skiing Cameron Pass.
- Ski one of the North Pole Chutes at A-Basin. (Rick, I’m counting on you to do this with me.)
Here are my climbing goals for the year. If there is something you’d like to do that you don’t see here, let me know.
- Mount Owen in the Tetons. This is the second highest peak in the Tetons and the only one of the Cathedral Group that I haven’t climbed. The East Ridge is the preferred route (5.6, III). This is my number one climbing priority this summer. I may hire a guide. I could be talked into doing the Cathedral Traverse (5.8, IV) if someone is interested, but in that case I’d almost certainly hire a guide.
- Symmetry Spire Durrance Ridge (5.6, II) or SW Ridge (5.7, II). This would be a good warmup for Mount Owen.
- Longs Peak Cable Route (5.4, II) and Kiener’s Route (5.4, III)
- Crestone Needle Ellingwood Arête (5.7, III)
I plan to run a marathon (or maybe a half). I’d like to do the America Discovery Trail Marathon. It starts a Palmer Lake and ends at America the Beautiful Park. It’s on Labor Day. Registration isn’t open yet.
I also plan to ride a century. I’m considering three options.
- Elephant Rock Cycling Festival. The ride is June 1 and starts in Castle Rock. Registration is now open.
- Buena Vista Bike Fest. This is on June 7 and starts in Buena Vista. Registration is open for this one too.
- White Rim Trail. This is a mountain bike ride that would take three days. I’d do it in September and we’d have a sag wagon with camping gear. I’d prefer this option, but it takes more planning.
Which one of these option I do depends on how much interest there is in each so let me know. We have to decide soon so we don’t miss the registrations.
Let me know if you want to join me in any of these adventures and we will start planning! I’ll post updates on the plans on this site so subscribe to the RSS feed or e-mail updates (at the top right of the home page) if you want to stay informed.